Repetitive Strain Disorder (RSD) is one ailment that is common among adults these days. The symptoms of RSD may include tissue damage, muscle strain, swelling and pain. If not treated in time, repetitive strain disorder can cause headaches, chronic pain and more serious injury.
What Is Repetitive Strain Disorder?
Whether it is due to manual labor, high-intensity sports, or even a repetition of subtle movement, overuse can result in RSD. In other words, repetitive strain disorder is an overuse injury occurring as a result of placing excessive strain or stress on a particular area of the body. The most common symptoms of repetitive strain disorder are swelling, pain, tissue damage or muscle strain.
Repetitive strain disorder is in the same category as repetitive motion injuries, sprains and strains. Most of these types of injuries are common for people whose job requires repetitive motion. For instance, people who play musical instruments or various sports at high intensity can get RSD.
Types And Causes Of Repetitive Strain Disorder
The symptoms of repetitive strain disorder are not the same for everyone. People with this injury may not experience the same exact feeling(s). With time, an affected body part may give out or weaken when the area is frequently or constantly stressed. Repetitive strain injuries may include:
- Shoulder, back, and neck injury: Injury to the shoulder, back and/or neck is typically a result of postures or repetitive motion required for daily activities. These may include lifting heavy objects, sitting in a chair, or performing other activities that strain the shoulders, back or neck.
- Carpal tunnel syndrome: Carpal tunnel syndrome is often a result of overusing the wrist or hands in a specific way. Those involved in writing, sewing, typing or other activities that constantly require the movement of the forearm muscles, wrists and hands could experience carpal tunnel syndrome.
- Tendonitis: Tendonitis occurs mostly in people who use the same part of their body repetitively for hobbies or work. People involved in painting, playing sports or playing an instrument may suffer from tendonitis. The forms of tendonitis may include pitcher’s shoulders, tennis elbow or other injuries mostly related to sporting activities.
- Bad posture: Bad posture can cause repetitive strain disorder. It can also result in text neck, which is a disorder caused by constantly looking down at handheld electronic devices. In most cases, this bad posture causes pain.
Treat Repetitive Strain Disorder With Chiropractic Care
Pain medications are one common treatment option for repetitive strain disorder. However, this type of option only treats the symptoms and not the cause of the problem. To prevent the problem from getting worse, a better treatment alternative for repetitive strain disorder is chiropractic care.
The treatment for repetitive strain disorder requires breaking up scar tissues and loosening up the joints so that the body can properly heal. This is the part where chiropractic care is very effective. The pain and swelling caused by RSD can be well-managed with chiropractic care. It is a non-addictive, non-invasive and safe alternative to over-the-counter or prescription medicines. The best medications can do for a patient is to help manage the swelling and pain. Undergoing routine chiropractic care can help provide longer relief for those who suffer from repetitive strain disorder.
Chiropractors are known to deliver chiropractic adjustments, a non-addictive, non-invasive and gentle therapy for the treatment of this type of disorder. Chiropractic adjustments help in reducing restrictions in the joints and/or spinal misalignment.
An increase in joint mobility invariably improves spinal health and the function of the nervous system. Through this type of care, the body develops the ability to manage the symptoms caused by repetitive strain disorder.
Benefits Of Chiropractic Care For People With Repetitive Strain Disorder
With chiropractic care and the rehabilitation that follows, a patient with repetitive strain disorder can live a fuller, more pain-free life without injections and medications.
Here are some of the benefits that chiropractic care offers to patients with RSD:
- Decreased inflammation
- Improved flexibility
- Relief from pain and discomfort
- Improved coordination and joint motion
Chiropractic care is a holistic treatment alternative for treating repetitive strain disorder. Call Thrive Chiropractic Health Center at 904-683-9397 to make an appointment to be seen at our office in Jacksonville, Florida, if you are currently dealing with RSD and want some relief.